Please see general respiratory information and resources on the Respiratory Page of this website.
Corticosteroids are steroid medicines that help to ease respiration by an anti-inflammation affect on the bronchioles and bronchial tree. Some medicines are licensed for asthma, some of COPD and some for both. Certain medicines may also be used in other respiratory conditions. Here we list some inhaled corticosteroid and corticosteroid combination for inhalation products, with examples of brands and links to relevant external information.
Inhaled Corticosteroid (ICS) Inhalers
- Clenil Modulate (beclometasone) MDI
- Easyhaler Budesonide DPI
- Pulmicort Turbohaler (budesonide) DPI
- Qvar (beclometasone extra-fine particle) MDI
- Qvar Easi-Breathe (beclometasone extra-fine particle) breath-actuated MDI
Inhaled Corticosteroid with Long Acting Beta Agonist (ICS+LABA) Inhalers
- AirFluSal (fluticasone propionate 500mcg and salmeterol 50mcg) DPI
- DuoResp Spiromax (budesonide and formoterol) DPI
- Flutiform (fluticasone propionate and formoterol) MDI
- Fostair (beclometasone with formoterol) MDI
- Fostair (beclometasone with formoterol) NEXThaler DPI
- Relvar Ellipta (fluticasone furoate and vilanterol) DPI – NB. Relvar 92/22 licensed for asthma and COPD, 184/22 licensed for COPD only
- Seretide (fluticasone propionate and salmeterol) Accuhaler DPI
- Seretide (fluticasone propionate and salmeterol) Evohaler MDI
- Sirdupla (fluticasone propionate and salmeterol) MDI
- Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) Turbohaler 100/6, 200/6 and 400/12 DPI
- Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) Inhaler MDI
The current BTS Asthma Guideline suggests that due to different potentiates and licensed dose regimes of products, all inhalers containing an ICS (including ICS+LABA combinations) should be prescribed by brand.
Please note that the links to SPCs and other external documents are correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. Always ensure that you are using the correct and up to date information – this is your responsibility, not ours. If you notice that any links are incorrect or need updating, please contact us.